Welcome to the Smith River Paw Park! Your furry friend will love sharing the experience of nature and hiking with you in a safe, fully-fenced natural space. Plus, more off-leash time will help both of you feel great, bond, and improve your overall well-being.
The Smith River Paw Park was generously donated by Ed Marvin, in loving memory of his wife, Jewel Spencer Marvin.
The Paw Park opens at 7:00 a.m. and closes at dusk. The Smith River Paw Park reserves the right to close the park without notice, as needed for emergencies, maintenance, and repairs. The Paw Park will be closed when the Smith River Sports Complex is closed to the public for any reason.
It is essential that off-leash etiquette guidelines are followed for dog owners and their dogs to be able to enjoy a safe and enjoyable experience.
When you register for your Smith River Paw Park membership, you agree to, and understand, the following rules:
- Please re-lock the main gate when you enter and when you exit.
- When using the park, always keep your membership badge visible.
- Dogs should wear a collar and ID tags at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed before entering and prior to leaving the park.
- Owners must accompany dogs at all times and carry a leash.
- Please only two dogs to one handler in the Paw Park during any visit.
- Only dogs are allowed in the park. No other pets are allowed.
- Dogs in heat or puppies under four months of age are not permitted.
- Any damage and/or injury caused by a dog will be the owner's responsibility.
- Please report any dogs that show aggression toward people or other dogs to the SPCA. Dogs who exhibit a history of aggressive behavior will not be permitted to enter.
- Please clean up after your dog and yourself.
- Do not share your security access code with others.
Paw Park Membership
A membership is required for use of the park. To get a membership, you will need to 1) fill out and return a Registration Form, 2) provide your dog's license, and 3) show proof of current rabies shot. The Paw Park Registration Form can be found on the SPCA of Martinsville and Henry County website mhcspca.org or 132 Joseph Martin Highway Martinsville, VA 24112 and below on our Paw Park page. Please bring your Registration Form and proof of license and current rabies shot to the SPCA during regular business hours. Upon confirmation, you will be issued a personal security code for the electronic lock at the main gate of the park. The membership registration is January - December, regardless of when you register during the year and must be renewed every on, or after, the first day of January.
The Smith River Paw Park
1000 Irisburg Road, Axton, VA 24054
When entering the Sports Complex, turn left at the "River Access" sign and drive to the trail head of the Paw Path.